1987 Hinckley Sou'wester 42
LEGACY is one of those boats that looks great as you approach on from the launch, and looks even better once you step aboard. If you are interested in the Sou'wester 42, you know just how special these boats can be. LEGACY is one of the better 42's I've been aboard - she feels just right. I like this boat, and for many good reasons.
We all know that the SW42 has the right pedigree of design and build. When looking for one, the next most important factor, in this Broker's opinion, is how she has been maintained. This translates into what many call "condition" - but it goes deeper. It really means is the boat ready to be sailed and enjoyed without the need to play catch-up on maintenance or necessary upgrades. LEGACY has been maintained to the nines by her owner of 18 years, and he has all the work done by one of the most competent yards in New England. She has also enjoyed heated indoor storage - not just good for the boat - but good for the boatyard in terms of keeping her in proper trim so she is ready to go when the weather breaks.
She is neat and tidy, kept by an owner who not only respects the boat, but resects the traditions of keeping a boat properly. Everything is clean, in it's place, and well cared for. Everything functions properly. No gimmicks. No old gear begging to be ditched and upgraded. Just and honest boat taht welcome you, and frankly warms you when you step aboard.
There is very little wear and tear. Sure, there are some minor spots where the interior varnish could use a little touch up, and the owner considers the sails ready for upgrades (he is particular). But overall she is very, very special. Her hull paint is fantastic, her rig has been painted, the decks look sharp, the interior upholstery is wonderful and overall she shows newer than her years might suggest. This boat has been gently used, properly cared for, and it shows.
If you are interested in a super nice Hinckley Sou'wester 42 which has been fairly priced, I encourage you to come take a look. LEGACY may just steal your heart. She is still commissioned, and easy to see. Please do give us a call.
Next Generation Yachting is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Stonington Yacht Sales.(7653512)
LOA42 ft 8 in - 13.01 meter
Beam12 ft 6 in - 3.81 meter
Draft - max9 ft 1 in - 2.77 meter
Number of Rooms-
LocationStonington, CT, US
Boat TypeRacer and Cruiser
Flag of Registry
Available for sale in U.S. watersYes
Length42 ft - 12.8 meter
LOA:42 ft 8 in - 13.01 meter
Beam:12 ft 6 in - 3.81 meter
Draft - max:9 ft 1 in - 2.77 meter
Fuel Tank:60 gallons - 1 tank(s)
Fresh Water Tank:155 gallons - 1 tank(s)
Crafted as only Hinckley seems to do - this interiors is done in a gorgeous American Cherry with rich varnish finishes. The layout is traditional, but with the preferred u-shaped dinette to port. Cherry hull ceilings throughout. Excellent ventilation and light. Sumptuous custom upholstery, The photos tell the story best, but here are some highlights.
The forward stateroom is quite luxurious - with generous storage, lighting and ventilation, as well as a private entry to the head.
The head has two entrances, significant storage and lighting. Hot and cold pressure water and shower, as well as a manual faucet for preserving energy. The toilet is a Vaccuflush, which uses fresh water and completely empties the lines (and therefore there is no odor!).
The Salon features the u-shaped galley to port, with a large dining table which can be expanded with a raised leaf. There is storage in the table. To starboard is a pull our settee, as well as a very useful pilot berth. Storage both port and starboard in several drawers and lockers.
Aft to port, the galley is a proper sea-going galley and has all the amenities for life at sea or in port. A large refrigerated box featuring Greunert holding plate refrigeration. A three burner Stainless Steel propane stove, with oven, by Ship mate - top notch. Double stainless steel sinks. Excellent locker storage both out board and aft. A dedicated trash bin on a hinged access panel. And a fold-up cutting board/counter extension.
Aft to starboard is the highly functional navigation station, with a dedicated seat, storage, and proper electronics installations. The electrical panel for both AC and DC systems is at the nav station. Aft of the nav station is many sailor's favorite quarter berth - this one just the right width, with exceptional access.
The engine is positioned under the stairs, with a fully opening forward panel(s) and side access from the starboard side. The engine room is neat and tidy, with excellent access to filters, belts, strainer, etc.
The cockpit is pure Hinckley - elegant, simple, totally comfortable. Four coaming lockers with Stainless Steel trim. One large and deep cockpit locker to port, another aft to port, with the propane locker to starboard. There is an ample aft lazarette under a solid teak covered locker.
- Shipmate SS three burner propane stove with oven and broiler
- Double SS sink
- Hot and cold pressure water.
- Cold water hand pump
- Refrigerated ice box lined in SS.
- Grunert holding plate refrigeration
- Dedicated cooking knife storage
- Many lockers and storage areas, solemn with fitted areas for dishware and glass ware
- Dedicated trash bin locker
- Flip-up teak counter extension/cutting board
SAILS, WINCHES, AND SAIL HANDLING:
- Main: North, 3DI. Fair condition.
- Genoa: North, 3Di, 150 % All Purpose, Fair Condition
- Gennaker: North, excellent condition.
- Light Genoa: North, Fair, Needs clew repair.
- Storm Jib
- Storm Trysail
- Barient 24 (2) halyard and utility winches, mounted on deck adjacent to mast.
- Barient 24 ST Self tailing halyard and utility winches, on deck adjacent to mast.
- Anderson 52 ST (@) Self Tailing, Electric, primary winches.
- Barient 28 ST Self Tailing secondary winches
- Harken Mk IV 2 Headsail roller furler
- Harken mainsheet traveller
- Removable Baby Stay
- Sailtec Hydraulic Backstay adjuster
- Hall Quickvang solid boomvang
- Mast and boom repainted with Awlgrip, excellent condition
- Carbon Fiber Whisker/Spinnaker pole, extending, with track on mast and mast storage.
- Hinckley Custom Stainless steel stacked turning blocks
MECHANICAL, PLUMBING and ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS:
- Westerbeke 46hp Diesel. 3344 hours, excellent condition
- Feathering Maxprop bronze propeller
- ESPAR Diesel central heating
- Two battery banks - House & Engine
- Hinckley Custom AC/DC Panel with analog gauges
- Xantrex Digital battery monitor
- Parallel Switch
- VaccuFlush vacuum toilet with holding tank
- Hot and cold pressure water
- Maxwell 1200 Electric vertical windlass
- Dedicated propane locker, drained overboard, with two propane tanks
- Standard Horizon Explorer VHF at nav station
- Standard Horizon Command Mic for VHF in Cockpit
- Autohelm ST7001 Below deck autopilot
- Raymarine E120 GPS/plotter at nav station
- Raymarine E80 GPS/Plotter in custom SS pod on pedestal
- Raymarine ST 60 Boat Speed
- Raymarine ST 60 Depth
- Raymarine ST 60 Wind Speed and Direction
- Custom Hinckley Compass in pedestal mount with SS cover.
- Panasonic Stereo
- Awlgrip paint on hull, dark green.
- Sail cover, by Custom Covers, excellent condition.
- Dodger, with SS frame, seldom used.
- Vessel passed Category 1 Offshore certification.
- MOM 8-A Man Overboard Module
- Outboard mount on stern pulpit
- Folding swim ladder integrated with Stern Rail
- Lewmar Delta SS anchor with Chain and rode
- Hinckley custom SS stem fitting with anchor roller
- Second Anchor, Danforth, in chocks on deck
- Half hull mounted on bulkhead
- Oil lantern mounted on bulkhead
- Framed photo of vessel under sail
- Cabin mounted inclinometer
- Stanless Steel cowl vents, with Teak Dorade box and SS guard.
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit
- Emergency tiller with storage mount in aft lazaretto
- Recording Barometer
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Similar Yachts For Sale
Based on price range and size you may be interested in these yachts/catamarans. The following options are examples and if you would like to see more similar yachts/catamarans please click below.